Ice Fishing: Where to go?
by K. Christopherson
It's cold out - but you love it! Itching to go ice fishing.... here are some of the favorites of Colorado. Be sure to check on conditions before you go, making sure that the ice is ready and lake is open to ice anglers.
State Parks:For info and conditions, plus tournaments, for these areas, go to parks.state.co.us Each area has its own set of pages
- Chatfield Reservoir - southwest Denver metro area
- Cherry Creek Reservoir - southeast Denver metro area
- Elevenmile Reservoir - in South Park, west of Colorado Springs
- Harvey Gap Reservoir - north of Rifle
- Rifle Gap Reservoir - north of Rifle
- Stagecoach Reservoir - southeast of Steamboat Springs
- Steamboat Lake - north of Steamboat Springs
- Vega State Park - south of Rifle
State Wildlife Areas-For more info on these areas, go to http://wildlife.state.co.us/LandWater/StateWildlifeAreas/
- Tarryall Reservoir - in South Park, south of Hwy 285, southeast of Fairplay
- Lake John - in North Park, west of Walden
- Delaney Buttes Lakes - in North Park, west of Walden
Fishing Tournaments at Elevenmile State Park
- no more scheduled
In South Park. More info, go to http://www.denverwater.org/Recreation/Antero/
East of Aurora more info
Granby Reservoir, Grand Lake, Shadow Mtn Reservoir-
Grand Lake. Ice fishing contest March 2 and 3 more info
Williams Fork Reservoir-
East of Kremmling, south of Parshall more info
Wolford Mountain Reservoir-
Located near Kremmling.
Ice Fishing contest Feb 16 more info
Green Mountain Reservoir-
South of Kremmling, north of Silverthorne on Hwy 9.
Located NE of Gunnison and NE of Almont
Click here to buy a topo maps for these areas.